Saturday, September 27, 2014

The "Cisco" Kid


Sometimes I run across a piece that is so special and unique that I fall head over heels in love with it. That's what happened when I saw this antique dresser. The person I bought this from said she found it when she was living in San Francisco. And so, I named it the "Cisco Kid" after one of my favorite cities.
It was old, really old. That's all I know....the dovetail joints looked like they were hand cut, and there was evidence of hand cut planks in the structure. The mirror was beautiful beveled glass. So I'm just guessing about its age....any ideas?
Aside from being REALLY dirty, like wear-a-mask-kind-of-dirty, the Kid just needed some light sanding to remove the dirt and grime. There were all sorts of nicks in this piece, but instead of repairing them, I left them alone and decided to embrace their charm. I painted it in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite, distressed the edges, and waxed in clear and dark waxes.


Check out these cool feet!


And as my mind usually wanders while I'm in my Zen moment painting, I wondered what sort of life this dresser had led.

Did it come from the Haight-Ashbury district and go through some wild times in the 1960's?

Was it around when the Golden Gate Bridge opened in 1937?




It almost certainly was around when Alcatraz was opened in 1936.



And maybe it survived the great quake and fire in 1906.





Anyways, I'm sure it led an interesting life and it was fun to refresh it and give it a great new home!


Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!



 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm sharing at:

Funky Junk Interiors
The Interior Frugalista - DIY Sunday Showcase
Silver Pennies Sundays
DIY Showoff
Amaze Me Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Boogie Board Cottage
Inspire Me Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
The Scoop
Twirl & Take a Bow Party
Elizabeth & Co. - Be Inspired
Wow Us Wednesdays
The Handmade Hangout
Furniture Feature Friday

8 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I love the color you chose, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the compliment, Kim! It was a really fun piece to paint and I'm so happy it went to a great new home. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. love that piece of furniture and the makeover you did. Hello gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it had such beautiful and unique lines. Thanks so much for the love!

      Delete
  3. Well done! Just the perfect amount of distressing! Great color choice too. You won't have this gem around for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara, I wanted the distressing to appear as though it happened naturally and over time. So excited to have "met" a fellow Californian blogger! I'll be checking out your page very soon :)

      Delete
  4. WOW WOW WOW! Spectacular! Im in love with all of it,great job.

    ReplyDelete