Monday, May 4, 2015

The Dresser I Thought About Stealing...





I'm kidding, obviously. But I have to admit that when I completed this antique highboy for my clients, I briefly ran through in my mind how I would explain how it disappeared from my garage and mysteriously reappeared in my bedroom!

But sanity prevailed - because there were so many problems with my twisted logic. How would I get a 500-lb dresser upstairs by myself? Because certainly neither my husband nor the boys would be complicit in this evil scheme. And they most definitely would rat me out to my clients - because we all really like this lovely young couple and their gorgeous Bijon.

Isn't she cute? And, she does tricks, too!


There was another problem complicating my scheme. This dresser is the big brother to the end tables I recently redid for them -  as well as another dresser that I had yet still to refinish. So sanity prevailed when I realized I really didn't want to go to jail for stealing furniture from clients or losing future business from them!



But I digress. Here is the before picture of the highboy. I loved it immediately - I could see the potential with its gorgeous lines - in spite of a really ugly color choice. My clients purchased it from house painters - and they did a really nice job painting it. The only problem with this was how they painted the drawers. It appeared they had rolled the paint on the drawers with a very high nap roller - which left an orange peel-like texture on the drawers.



So I had to strip the drawers back to their original wood finish and start all over again. Fortunately, everything else was in very good condition, and I just did the usual light sanding to even out any nicks or scratches.

I primed the piece twice with a water-based primer and then set to work. The drawers were painted in General Finishes Seagull Gray and the hardware painted in Rustoleum Metallic Finishes and sealed with a clear polyurethane spray.


I painted the body of this piece in General Finishes Snow White. The top and the sides were also painted in Seagull Gray.



And sealed with a high-performance top coat in satin.



Look at these gorgeous feet!



Here is the beautiful after shot. This story had a happy ending: I didn't steal this dresser and it was happily reunited with its side tables. I do, however, have first dibs on it in case my client ever wants to sell it!




Enjoy your week and thanks as always for stopping by!

 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm Sharing At:


5 comments:

  1. Super gorgeous- I want to steal it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darielle! I had my client promise to let me know if she ever wants to sell it! I miss it - but it looks so gorgeous in its new home!

      Delete
  2. What was the color of MM Metallic paint that you used? I just picked up a similar piece and love this color combination! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh...now I see it was Rustoleum not Modern Masters...still interested in the color. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia! I used Rustoleum Metallic Finishes in Silver. Have fun with your makeover!

      Delete